With so many harsh chemicals entering our homes it is not always easy to choose the right cleaning products. There are so many things to take into consideration:
- Are the products you purchase at the supermarket harming your family?
- What are the long-term effects on your health when using chemical cleaning products in your home ?
- What are the costs of switching to (more) natural products?
- Are there 100% natural alternatives that won’t break the bank?
In fact, did you know that using chemically based cleaning products long term is like smoking 1 pack of cigarettes a day? The European Community Respiratory Health Survey aimed to find out more about the long-term effects of using cleaning products. Results found that exposure to cleaning materials can be detrimental to women’s health in the long term. In fact, the effects of 10-20 years of cleaning can be as damaging as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for the same amount of time.
Something else to take into consideration is the price of most “natural” cleaning products. Consumers may be deterred from purchasing these because often, they cost up to 100% more than those found on supermarket shelves.
So what is the alternative? What can we use to clean our homes naturally without it weighing heavily on our pockets?
What you can do instead…
There are in fact several essential oils that contain antimicrobial powers that when combined with other oils, and diluted properly can effectively eliminate pathogen causing germs from surfaces.
Another option is white vinegar , also a highly effective agent that acts as a natural deodorizer, especially in kitchens and bathrooms.
Both these nature-derived ingredients can go a long way when sanitizing your home.
Here are some true and tried, easy to use recipes you can easily prepare at home.
Disinfecting Essential Oil Blend
- add 3 cups of water in a clean spray bottle
- add 1 teaspoon of tea tree essential oil
- add 1 teaspoon of peppermint essential oil
- add 1 teaspoon of lavender essential oil
- this will make the perfect mold and mildew cleaner, and when used regularly will also help fight germs on surfaces
Disinfecting Vinegar Blend
Acetic acid or white vinegar is a great disinfectant. It also acts as a deodorizer and cuts grease. You can tackle household bacteria like salmonella, E. coli and other “gram-negative” bacteria with vinegar. Gram-negative bacteria can cause infections including pneumonia, bloodstream infections, wound or surgical site infections, and meningitis.
In a standard-sized glass spray bottle add:
- 1 part water
- 1 part vinegar
- 5-15 drops of 100% essential oil. You can use whichever essential oil whose scent you prefer, or customize the scent according to what room in your home you are cleaning.
Easy everyday tips to make your life easier
- fill the rinse-agent dispenser of your dishwasher with plain white vinegar.
- pour 125 millilitres of white vinegar into the bowl. Let sit 15 minutes and then flush.
- lemon essential oil is traditionally used to clean the kitchen, as the lemon scent can neutralize strong kitchen smells
- tea tree and eucalyptus oil are great for neutralizing bathroom odors
That fresh clean smell
Once all this has been accomplished, your home will already be smelling clean and welcoming…but if you are looking for that extra fresh scent that also has its benefits …..Read on.
We have all seen commercials for air fresheners , and most of us consider these sprays and plug-ins the easy way out when we are stuck with a stinky room.
But did you know that research has shown these products to dramatically increase the toxic load in our homes?
Try this instead….
Add the following essential oils in a diffuser and reap the Health benefits s well.
- Citrus Essential Oils (Lemon, Lime, Orange, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Bergamot, Clementine, Neroli…)
These oils are invigorating, and will also support a healthy immune system
Not only will it add an “outdoorsy” scent to your home, and studies have also shown this oil to eliminate bacteria and microbes in the air and on surfaces.
Add this oil to a diffuser and imagine your self in a French lavender field…flowery and comforting, this oil will not only help reduce the stress you bring home after a busy day, but also help stimulate sleep.
Better ingredients for better health
We all want to keep our home clean, but it can sometimes be challenging on a daily basis to also eliminate harmful germs and bacteria, while keep our families healthy. At the same time, we want to ensure we are not adding additional toxins by constantly using commercial disinfectants, especially in areas like the kitchen where they may come into contact with food.
We have to learn to make better choices for cleaner living. We have to start now.
Live well! Live healthy! Enjoy the journey!
If you would like to be notified of new posts by THESKINUREIN blog, please sign-up!