Winter is around the corner and with it, so are colds and flus. These are always accompanied by terrible symptoms which we immediately want and need to tend to in order to get on our way. More often, the viruses prey on children and the elderly who cannot or should not take certain medications to alleviate these symptoms.
Let’s look at some natural alternatives to decongestant, over the counter medication
an alternative to medicated nasal spray – homemade saline solution
If you have small children you probably use suction aids to help alleviate a stuffy nose. Although efficient, this option is not hygienic nor easy to use.
An easy homemade fix is salted water solution. It is much easier to prepare and administer than you think.
ingredients you will need:
- salt *1/4 tsp of salt (or 1/2 tsp- see below)
- tap water 8 oz.
- baking soda 1/2 tsp (optional)
- *this ratio is equivalent to the amount of salt in our bodies (isotonic)
The steps to follow:
- boil the water in order to dissolve the salt and kill off potentially harmful microbes
- once the water has cooled, add the salt and mix until dissolved
If the person in need is particularly congested, then additional salt may be added (for a total of 1/2 a teaspoon – hyper-tonic solution). The additional salt should not be added for children under the age of 5. Adding baking soda can also be an option as it will adjust the PH solution and be less harsh to the nose if it is sore.
How to proceed
- store the solution in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- only extract the amount needed either with a plastic syringe (remove needle) or bulb syringe (may also be added to a small spray bottle for application)
- use the syringe to push the water through the nasal cavity
- although the solution is harmless when used on small children, make sure to place the child on its tummy to avoid swallowing the solution and mucus
- a bulb syringe can then also be used for better extraction
Water-salt nasal solution will help reduce:
- nasal stuffiness
- continuous dripping
Being a natural remedy, this solution is good for all ages and can be used several times throughout the day without complications.
2. Essential Oils
If you follow this blog you know how much we believe in the power of essential oils as a natural health alternative. There is really an oil for practically any wellness need, and of course, some to help relieve cold and flu symptoms as well.
- eucalyptus pure essential oil
- oregano pure essential oil
- peppermint pure essential oil
- tea tree pure essential oil
- sinus aid essential oil blend
- immunity guard essential oil blend
For more information on the wellness benefits of each of these oils refer to this blog post we researched for you.
Use promo code “wellness15” to receive a 15% reduction on your essential oil purchase with Ingenium Naturals
There are several ways essential oils can be used to help alleviate symptoms
- add to a steam bath
- add to an oil diffuser
- add to a carrier oil for massage (pure jojoba oil as a carrier oil)
- add 1 or 2 drops of oil to a tissue and carry with you in a ziplock bag, inhale as needed throughout the day
These essential oils can be of immense help when dealing with seasonal symptoms. It is not by chance that big pharma companies also add them to their over the counter medications.
If you want to know more about the qualities you should be looking for when purchasing an essential oil read this post from the Wonders in Wellness Blog.
Essential oils have numerous benefits, and will not only help alleviate seasonal symptoms but may also provide support with mood and alertness issues.
3. Thermal Body Butter Stick
The Thermal Body Butter Stick is a moisturising and versatile product with the capability of providing a pleasant warming effect to stressed skin and muscles. This is an ideal solution for a middle-of the-night fix, or before going to bed.
The all-natural butters contained in this unique blend, guide the absorption of the menthol and camphor, as well as the eucalyptus, and peppermint essential oils, into the derma and help to temporarily relieve chest colds and accompanying symptoms.
How the body butter can be used and what it contains
Gently massaging under the feet and onto chest will allow the blood to circulate and help the absorption of the ingredients.
All of the Ingenium Naturals Inc. beauty and personal care products are vegan, all natural, and always paraben and phthalate free, and the ingredients in this product include : cocoa butter, soy butter, safflower oil, sunflower oil, candelilla wax, menthol crystal, camphor, eucalyptus EO, peppermint EO, Vitamin E
The Thermal Body Butter stick is a safe and effective alternative to over the counter products which generally also include chemical ingredients that can be harsh on sensitive skins, and that in the long run may do more harm than good.
Choosing the right solutions for your unique needs and wants is essential. Natural alternatives and natural products are the first step in ridding yourself and your home of chemicals and toxic ingredients we know will harm our well-being.
Finding alternative solutions to alleviating the symptoms of cold and flu in this upcoming winter (or allergy) season will be the perfect way to embrace your natural health needs.
Use promo code “wellness15” to receive a 15% store-wide reduction on your purchase at Ingenium Naturals